Friday, June 24, 2005

Darwin continued

Okay, so back online. Now I have tons of internet time because banks don't open on weekends in Australia. This really stinks. I have to buy things in 10 dollar increments because that's the minimum charge amount for a visa ARRGGHHH. I also have to eat at places that can take cards and that usually means more expensive meals. I have 2 dollars in change left and cannot get cash until monday, when I'll be in New Zealand. At least the New Zealand dollar has a better exchange rate than the Australian dollar. Wooot! 100 USD becomes 140 NZD!!! Damn I like that. I also just booked my hostel in New Zealand. Only 22.15 for two nights WOW!! I wish the US had hostels.

Anyway, back to the summary of the past week and a half. I believe I was at El Questro.....
After El Questro Gorge we took a riverboat cruise on the Chamberlain River. The highlight of that was the spitting ArcherFish. If you held your hand out over the boat, the fish would spit at you and then you could feed them a piece of bread. i've decided that the fish tank i set up this year at school is going to have Archer fish that I'm going to condition the same way. They'd spit at me anytime they saw me! The behavior is actually natural but it's used to knock an insect off of a branch into the water so the fish can eat. They are excellent aim, hence the name, archer fish.
That night a bunch of people got drunk because Jon (Dr. Shenker) had said that the beer was not being used up quickly enough. Bad move on his part *cringe* The next day we were set to leave El Questro Station but stopped at Zebedee Springs which is a natural hot springs that's kind of warm lol. It was nice to relax. From the springs we drove a lot until we stopped at Kununurra, and from there our last campsite in the middle of nowhere, the roughest camp we've stayed at. There were no facilities at all so bathrooms nil, sinks, nil, running water nil. We were on top of the plateau for the full moon. It was so beautiful and bright.

The next day we arrived in Darwin and we are staying at the YHA. Just yesterday I took the final exam for the class. We had to have some physical form of evidence that we learned something on this trip, hence the exam. There were 21 questions. Question 21 was true/false: have you paid Jon back for the beer/udl on the camping trip? I liked that question, I had a good laugh. Other questions were serious, never fear. Like, what is Wallace's line? or how was the devonian reef at Windjana Gorge different from the modern reefs we see today? I thought it was a pretty decent exam. I sat by the pool, listened to some cds and took the exam.

I'll be on again and post all about Darwin tomorrow, I've only got 7 minutes left.

bubye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home