Wednesday, July 26, 2006

American Idiocy

Ok, so I listen to this radio show on my way to work in the morning (it tends to be hilarious, keeps me awake, and involved for my hour long drive). It's an Orlando station, 101.1 This morning I turned them on in the middle of a debate about Global Warming. Now, I didn't hear the original statement but I did hear the final conversation. Basically, the radio trio had opened their lines up to callers to discuss if a) they believed in Global Warming and b)if they were going to do anything to curb GW.

Now, at first I was like "Hmm, I wonder what people think" and then as I listened I just started getting pissed off, and I was on the verge of dialing the station to insert my two points when they closed phone calls (that and I didn't get the last four digits of the phone number into my cell) A minor irritating fact is that people don't believe in Global Warming. I'm sorry, but we should be on the downward decline into the next ice age according to the previous warming and cooling patterns but the global average temperature keeps increasing, rather than decreasing. That to me (as a scientist) is pretty indicative of a global warming episode. Some moron then called to say that he supported GW because Bass were found off the coast of Alaska. WTF???? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Then the absolute idiot of the radio trio went on to say that the majority of the public opinion was "Global Warming? Screw Bush. We're gonna have 600 lb venison now!" OMG.

All I could think about was the Gen Ecology lecture from Morris when we learned about the Surface Area:Volume ratio. You get smaller animals in warmer climates. That's why the deer in Florida are tinier than northern deer, and more wirery (?) Forget the venison you fucking idiot, it's just gonna get stringy. Oh the uneducated public frustrates me to no end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home