Saturday, May 07, 2005

Time for a Rant

Well, unfortunately this movie was recommended to me by none other than Eric. Well, I have news for you. NOTHING will ever replace the musical.
Issue #1 - The voice track did not match emotion expressed on actor's faces. Do I need to count how many times I grimaced as Emmy Rossum (granted she has a wonderful voice) did not even look like she was really singing her songs?
Issue #2 - Argh!! Gerald Butler, the Phantom you will never be. YOU CANNOT SING!!! Yelling at different pitches to match the music does not a singer make. Michael Crawford, I miss you.
Issue #3 - WTF? What is up with the Chandelier NOT falling when it should? No, the Chandelier crashes BEFORE Masquerade, not during Don Juan. No. It completely SCREWS up the rest of lyrics.

Good points are few and far between. The visual effects and set are stunning. They incorporated things from Gaston Leroux's original novel when they told the story behind the Phantom as a boy. That was cool. Sorry Eric, if you've ever seen the musical, nothing can compare. I'll take Broadway over Hollywood any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home